Sunday, October 20, 2013

Healthy, Fall Lentil Soup

Taken on a Canon EOS 600d (Excuse the rather annoying wire thingy. It was an electric rod they used for buildings)

            So like everybody else in the northern hemisphere, Russia has followed suit into the Fall weather. Except in Russia, Fall here is like Winter in New York City. And winter is like the Arctic (I kid you not) It is now about 1℃. Out of all my years on earth, I had never experienced winter or fall because I live in a tropical country, where it is a nice, warm sometimes even a hot 33℃-38℃ all year round. Now, that's a holiday.

But, since I've been living in the cold weather and surviving against Russia's harsh winters. So today, I have a warm and filling soup recipe for you guys. A soup on a chilly afternoon, the best relaxation you can think of. It is so easy to make, just throw in all the ingredients and let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes and there you have it! This particular recipe is healthy for you, even. So, go ahead, help yourselves to several helpings. Oh, and did I mention it tastes soo good?


Warm and Healthy Fall Lentil Soup ♡

Here are the ingredients I used: (I had pre-cut the vegetables the night before)



First you need: Sliced Carrots (loads of them)



Sliced Onions (I had in about 2 whole onions.)




And of course, if you want to make lentil soup, you've got to have Lentils.

Lentils are called Chechevitsa in Russian 


Next, seasoning: I had salt, black pepper, and some coarse chilli. I recommend substituting salt with cumin (which gives the warm, hearty flavour) but I don't have that at the moment. Hence, salt works fine.

Tbh, any other spices you have on hand that you think works great in soups will be just perfect. Try experimenting on your own! ☺

I also added a little amount of ginger, but that was optional! 


The Steps

Bring a large pot of water to boil.




Next, in goes the sliced carrots 




The sliced onions and lentils goes next:










Here comes the seasonings, the pepper: 




Chilli 




And Salt: 



And thats it! Let it simmer for about 15-20 mins on medium heat. Check back to see if the carrots and lentils are soft enough to cut through with a spoon or a soup ladle. 





Healthy Fall Lentil Soup

You have your healthy, seasonal lentil soup that's good for you and so flavoursome! This recipe obviously does not include meat of any sort, because the lentils are such a good source of protein. This recipe is also very diverse, you can include any vegetables you have on hand. Just add on couple handfuls of lentils and start boiling! Plus, if you made too much: the leftovers freezes beautifully and this can last me for days! 


Try it! And tweet me a picture: @janiceeec

Let me know in the comments below what you think of this homemade autumn soup recipe, full of deliciousness! 


Lots of love,
Janice

 







1 comment:

Janice C: said...

If anybody has tried it, lemme know! Or please feel free to post your blog links if you have any kind of autumnal, wintry soup recipes! I would LOVE to try them myself!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...